These are really the best Italian meataballs ever. I don’t remember where this recipe came from and I usually keep it a secret, but I’ve decided to share with you today.
1-1/2 lb ground beef (you can also use 1-1/2 lb of meat-loaf mixture if you want)
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup breadcrumbs (or enough to hold the meat together)
1-2 tbsp garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder or to taste)
1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper (I only use 1/2 tsp)
1/3 cup milk (approximately)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional, or to taste)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 2 tbsp dried parsley)
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Shape into small meatballs (they can be frozen at this point or refrigerated up to 24 hours)
3. Simmer in pasta sauce, but do not move them around for at least 20-25 minutes or they might break apart.
4. Continue cooking for another 20 minutes or so (40 minutes total cooking time should cook the meatballs but you might want to test one if you’re going to eat them immediately.)
5. Or continue to cook for as long as desired.
* If you don’t have dry breadcrumbs, soak 2 slices of bread in the milk.
* Instead of cooking in sauce, you can bake the meatballs in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cooked through.